10/16/2007

Sea Story

My First Haircut

Life on a submarine for a new sailor (Non-qual, dink, scumbag, puke, nub) is very interesting and full of excitement. Even the most mundane of activities has an exciting air for a non-qual. I remember my first day underway. This is after I had awaken from a long sleep following finishing up my tour as a Crank (a guy on K.P. duty AKA cooks slave). I had quals to work on. So... being the smart non-qual that I was , I headed back to Machinery Two. As fortune would have it, there was a crowd of about 7 A-Gangers in AMR third level. I walked in and announced that I was ready for a checkout on some system (can't remember which one). Well, the COB (Chief of the Boat, [command Master Chief for you skimmers]) happened to be in the room shooting the breeze with the guys. He said I could have a checkout under one condition. I had to sit in the stool and everytime I got a wrong answer they would; spin me in circles, stop my spinning by grabbing my hair, cut off a handful of hair with the COB's pocketknife. Sounded good to me...


I didn't know as much about the system as I thought I knew. Wow!! there's a lot of little specific information to know for even the simplest equipment on a submarine. Like, "How many times did I have to retap the thread on the third bolt securing that pump to the deck?" I sure had a great haircut though. I looked like a Chernoble survivor! I walk up to the computer room which is just past the XO's and CO's staterooms. The XO notices me and gasps.


XO- "Sailor!? What happened to your hair?

ME- "I got it cut XO." (ask a dumb question...)

XO- "What the hell was used to cut your hair?"

ME- "It was a knife."

XO- "Did you do it yourself?"

ME- "No sir, it was done by some other people."

XO- "Who did this to you?"

ME- "You know sir, I'm so new that I can't really remember who they were."

XO- "You're not that new... Who was it!!?"

ME- "Sorry sir, I'm just not sure."

XO- "OK, where did it happen?"

ME- "Again sir, I'm so new that I don't really know my way around well enough. I'm not sure where I was."

XO- "Bullshit! You're dismissed!"


I took off and went and hid in DPER (pronounced deeper [the computer room]). Within 20 seconds you here over the 1MC, "Chief of the Boat, report to the XO's stateroom!" Well you could hear the XO explaining to the COB that he had better get to the bottom of the story regarding my haircut.


About 30 minutes later the messenger of the watch finds me and tells me to report to the Goat Locker (Chiefs Quarters). I walk in and find the COB and about 6 other chiefs sitting around in their lounge area. There is a stool, a towel, and some haircutting clippers. The COB sits me down and begins to cut my hair. He and the other chiefs visit with me, asking me questions about my childhood and my plans for the future. In the end the COB tells me, "You need to get out there and familiarize yourself with the boat and the rest of the crew now." Then he grabbed my qual card and signed it off for the system that my original "pocketknife checkout" had been for.



That COB saved my butt about a year in the future when I did something dumb on base. He had the reputation as being a mean old hardass. But, he took care of "his boys". Since the day I didn't rat him out, I became one of "his boys". That XO never did like me. But that's OK.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pyro,

That is so funny!!! I bet you got a bunch of stories like that.

Perhaps 8 years worth? Tell us more sea stories.

By the way, how do you tell the differance between a "sea story" and a "fariy tale"?

A "fariy tale" starts out, "Once apon a time"...

A "sea story" starts out, "now this is no shit"...

Rex USS NEW JERSEY BB-62

Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound like the COB on any T-hull I was on. And I was on four of them. He must have really liked you. I mean really liked you. What boat where you on and who was the COB. I might have known him...

Pyrosapien said...

Lignarius,

Thanks for the comment skimmer. Though you were on an impressive target (BB-62) in the end that's all it was, a target!

Sonarman,

I was on the HMJ blue from 88-92. That was my first COB, his name was J.D. Brasch. He was a MMCM.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

I've heard of Brasch, in fact. Must have been while I was at TTF-B going to school in '87-'88.

Anonymous said...

I don't think lying to a commissioned officer is a good idea.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a commisioned officer interjecting himself into a non commisioned officers buisness is a good Idea.

If you would like to expand on your reasoning Mr. Anonymous, I would like to respond to your argument.

Rex
(Sergeant First Class Retired)

Pyrosapien said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for stopping in. I appreciate and repsect your comment.

Some background on my thinking during the XO's questioning.

1- This is a U.S. Submarine. The submarine service is a tight knit group that doesn't accept outsiders without thoroughly testing them mentally and physically. A non-qual is considered a wannabe, but still an outsider. Being qualified in submarines is very, very important and means much more than simply rank. There is a very involved process of earning your "dolphins".

2- My suspicion at the time was that I was being tested by the XO. My loyalty to the crew was being tested. My willingness to sacrifice for my fellow shipmates and the ship was being tested. I felt that he was attempting to see if I would sell by brother bubbleheads down the river, because I felt I was being treated unfairly, for my own self preservation.

3- If I had "spilled my guts", I would never have gotten qualified in submarines and would have been sent were all the other sailors who can't hack it in submarines go, to the surface or airdale community. The word would have spread that I wasn't willing to put loyalty to the crew above my own well being and I would never have completed my qualifications because the qualified submariners on the boat wouldn't have signed my card.

4- Nobody, (not even our "Bird" Captain) would have been able to do anything about it. The CO isn't going to disrupt the morale and functioning of his crew by disciplining 120+ years of qualified submariners (the ones who cut my hair) for giving a non qual with <2 years in the Navy a bad haircut.

Submarines are different than other parts of the Navy. Because of the physical aspects of the ship and the close living arrangement, the interaction of people on the boat can be somewhat informal. The esprit de corps of being one of the navy's elite sailors, (that's how bubbleheads think of themselves) makes being loyal to the team of paramount importance.

I don't think the XO was really as upset as he was acting. He may never have liked me because of how I responded to him, but he respected me and my professional skills in maintaining and operating the fire control system. The COB and the other chiefs saw that I had backbone and was willing to sacrifice for the crew. The word got out to the rest of the sailors and they respected me.

I'll put another sea story post in sometime today. It will demonstrate the importance of trust. It will also demonstrate that trust doesn't come from selling your crewmates down the administrative river. It comes from having the backbone to take a stand. The story I will tell involves the Captain (full bird) taking my assessment of a situation over several officers and chiefs, becuase he knew that I was good at my job, and wouldn't massage data to appease other's ego's.

p.s. I'm not saying that lying to a commissioned officer is a good idea. Given the choice between two bad ideas (not being truthful with the XO -vs- selling the COB, the A-Gang chief, A-Gang LPO, and several other MM's down the river) I chose to take the hit instead of ducking. Lying is not a virtue, whether it's to a commissioned officer or a seaman recruit. I'd make the same decision again given the same situation.

Anonymous said...

Okay... but you still lied. To a person in whom the PRESIDENT has given special trust. All to cover for the physical abuse and mental torment, day I say, TORTURE, that people who had no special trust from the PRESIDENT.
-------------
Sargent FIrst Class Retired, (IF you really WERE a Marine),

The XO overseas the functioning of the BOAT, so the CAPTAIN can fight the BATTLES. Lying to the XO is WRONG. Can't you see that?

Pyrosapien said...

Hi Anonymous,

I’m not going to restate my entire post. I understand that you feel pretty strongly about the high level of trust that a commissioned officer in the US military has vested in them. The commission is actually from Congress not the President, though the President does oversea the supervision of the military. It’s all part of the separation of powers thing. It may come as a surprise to you, but everyone in the military takes an oath, even the lowly enlisted men and women. Here it is;
"I (your name) DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER ME, ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. SO HELP ME GOD."

I’m pretty sure the COB told the XO exactly what happened. That’s why the issue was dropped by the XO, because the COB said he would fix the issue. Otherwise I probably would have been brought up on charges by the XO. You see, the XO was running the boat… by using reason and not stepping on the COB’s toes. Do you know what the duties and responsibilities are of the senior enlisted people in the United States military? I assure you enlisted people are not expected to act like, or get treated like, unthinking retarded robots as is portrayed in Hollywood movies like “Crimson Tide”. The COB is POWERFUL.

BTW… just so that I can get an idea of where you form your perspective, what is your military/corporate background?

Thanks again for stopping in. It’s always nice to have discussions when everyone doesn’t see things the same way :)

Lignarius Rex said...

Pyro,

Why u being nice to him? I've seen his kind before.

He is a dork.

Rex