7/24/2006

Long time no blog

I've been real busy lately and haven't made an entry in 7 days. I understand the feds were so concerned they nearly halted all internet information transfers until I could be located. What's that? Oh, the world didn't stop becuase I wasn't polluting it with my "wisdom".

I went up to Anacortes over the weekend to attend a friends wedding. Now, if you've never been to Anacortes you need to schedule a trip. It's a wonderful town with an interesting history. I graduated from Anacortes High School after moving there in the summer between the tenth and eleventh grade. I always remembered that the name Anacortes came from the daughter of Hernando Cortez who was named Anna. Sounds nice but in researching prior to doing this post I discovered that I am an idiot and that the Hernando Cortez angle is an urban legend. For the real history of Anacortes click here.

The Church in Anacortes in my memory was rather modern (this memory is from '85-'87). I can't remember specifics though, probably because we didn't go to Mass every Sunday or Holy Day when I was in High School. But you've all been to those modern looking 70's and 80's churches with no soul. It's almost as if they did everything in their power to make the church as generic as possible. Maybe they were hoping people wouldn't recognize it as a Catholic church and go there by mistake. Those two decades seemed to focus a lot on appearance and emotion and little on substance and faith.

What a glorious surprise when I walked in vestibule at St. Mary's in Anacortes for the wedding. They had just finished a renovation in 2003 and had lots of beautiful statues, icons, paintings and paint schemes. A giant holy water basin right at the entrance to the narthex where Baptism could be done either by emersion or pouring. The Tabernacle and the sanctuary were beautiful. The tabernacle itself was done so as to resemble a Bynzantine triptych.

I applaud the renovation team and hope that all parishes in the Seattle Archdiocese follow suit when they renovate.

I actually got to meet a blogger from another blog that I look at sometimes. I must have come off as some type of stalker when I initially said hi. There was another blogger there who is a seminarian with Seattle's Archdiocese but he left before I could say hi.

I was a beautiful wedding and I will post later on something from the program that I thought was very nice.

Stay Cool

Pyro

No comments: