2/23/2007

Out of Hibernation

Well, It's been quite some time since I consistently posted in my blog. I will be trying to get back in the habit of posting something every day. It takes a certain time commitment to keep a blog current and I stopped making the time to blog. Well, with Lent upon us I suddenly have some time back in my schedule and along with other things I'll be using some of it to blog more frequently.

I learned yesterday of a disturbing event in Sante Fe, New Mexico. Basically, it seems that an individual (or individuals) hid alarm clock/CD players in the Church which activated about halfway through the service on Ash Wednesday (a special Holy Day). The CD's played recordings of people cursing, swearing, and making sexually explicit sounds.

In my search for news stories or commentary regarding this incident I have been extremely underwhelmed. The perpetrators are referred to as "pranksters" and every story I could find had only bare bones facts. None of the in depth reporting or digging for information, as in the Anna Nichole Smith train wreck. If Her story had been treated the same way, this is all we would have seen; "Anna Nichole Smith died today after being transported by paramedics to an area hospital. Cause of death unknown. Anna Nichole is survived by her daughter and mother." I believe the cause of this indifference is a deep seated, somewhat unconscious prejudice/bigotry towards Christianity in general and the Catholic Church in particular by the main stream media (MSM).

Here are my questions:

1. If an ACLU, NAACP, GLBTA, or (insert organization that traditionally supports liberal politics) meeting was interrupted/disrupted in such an offensive manner what would the press coverage have been?

2. Interfering/obstructing a group from peaceably assembling is a civil rights violation isn't it(1st amendment)?

3. Denying a group from the free excercise of their religion violates their civil rights doesn't it (1st amendment)?

4. Is singling out a group based on their religion (this event occured at the Cathedral Church which is essentially the headquarters for Catholics in the region) and assaulting them or violating their civil rights considered a hate crime?

I won't hold my breath waiting for the ACLU to express their outrage over this incident.


Pyro

No comments: