5/23/2006

BIRD FLU ALERT




Fox news is carrying a story that the World Health Organization is reporting the possible person to person transmission of the Avian Flu virus (H5N1 virus). Up until now, it has been the belief that all human cases were contracted from infected birds. What does this mean for us? If you haven't started preparing yourself and your family for a flu pandemic you should really get serious about doing so. Here is the government plan for a possible pandemic. What can you do?

Make sure you have a disaster prep kit at your home.
1) Have a quality first aid kit, focus on trauma, environmental emergencies, and whatever special needs medications & equipment that are specific to your family
2) Water. the average person needs at least 1 gal of water per day for consumption, food prep, and hygiene. Most disaster prep books recommend a 3 day supply. As we all saw in New Orleans it would be more prudent to have at least a two week supply.
3) Food: the simpler the better. I'd pack canned/ready to eat meat, vegetables, and fruit. Stay away from things that need to be cooked or heated. Energy bars and a supply of multi-vitamins should also be included.
4) Medication: as we saw in New Orleans, this could be a matter of life or death. Diabetics were dying simply because their 3 day supply of insulin was exhausted.
5) store other tools, clothing, and supplies as appropriate. (click here for examples)
6) firearm: the sad fact is that when things went poorly in the New Orleans disaster, it didn't take long for a major American city to become a dog eat dog third world slum. In many instances the lawless and ill prepared took advantage of the situation and stole other people life sustaining food, water, and shelter. Don't let that happen to you, we have a second amendment for a reason. If they want to steal your food and water, give em some lead instead.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had a high quality first aid kit but you stole it when we were at hemp fest last year or, whatever that place was.

Can I get it back please?

Your brother
Mike.

Pyrosapien said...

I found your stupid first aid kit when I was in my garage today looking for my texture gun hopper. I will break the 6 month rule and return it to you. I don't know when, where, or how, but I will return it to you. Is Independence Day soon enough?

Pyro

Anonymous said...

Boys, Boys, Boys
That's enough bickering now, by the way are you following the hemp-fest this year? I have yet to totaly understand the purpose of the fest (other than to sell water,melons & ice.) Pherhaps the blogger can enlighten us on the purpose of a Hemp-fest. Oh yes if you need some pictures of last years little get-to-gather, I'v got a few I could send via e-mail or if I knew how I could insert it to this comment, whatever?
Uncle

Pyrosapien said...

Uncle,

I am working on a post right now concerning President Fox's visit to your county. Since you know far more than me about farming, farm labor, and Mexican Presidents I look forward to your view.

VIVA LA TIO!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Viva La Tio?

What a suck up! Please send me my first aid kit and, it's a 1 year rule.

I have had (my) texture hopper for over 2 years now and it works great!!!! you should get one!

Your brother
Mike.

Anonymous said...

Hola Pyro
I just put in a long winded commentary about the Undocumented worker in this area & El Presadenta visit yesterday to our valley, bur my server kicked me off so when I posted it it went no where untill I got back on line, well needless to say it was gone, gone, gone.(I'm on dail-up 44 kbps on a good day) I would like to have high speed, however I'm a farmer who gets paid "squat" for producing hundreds of tons of fruit annually. Do you know what the per capata average of bartlett pears eaten by the good people of this country is? I do. Do a little research, it's shocking! I'll add my two cents later about the Mexican worker, however it's very favorable.

Uncle